How do I secure a Speaker for my event?
Whatever your needs, be it information on a specific speaker or suggestions for your event, our agents are here to answer your questions to help you find the right speaker for your engagement.
How do I confirm a Speaker?
When you are ready to move forward with an invitation to a speaker, CAA has a simple offer form that must be filled out. The offer form is considered binding so please send us an offer only when you are certain you are ready to sign a contract. Should the speaker accept the offer, you will be obligated to sign a contract and pay a deposit. Please do not submit a firm offer until you are 100% ready to proceed and can make a 50% deposit with the signed contract.
What are your payment terms?
We require a 50% deposit upon signing the contract and the remaining 50% is due one month before the date of the engagement. We also require that all travel expenses be paid in advance. On some engagements, we may require a deposit toward approximate expenses with the actual bill settled after the event.
I don’t want to get stuck with a big travel bill. Is there a way for me to insure fixed travel costs?
Many of our speakers will agree to an airfare buyout; speak with your CAA Speakers agent about this option.
How much do speakers cost?
Speaker fees vary depending on the demand for an individual, his or her availability, and the services required. Generally, fees for keynote speeches begin at $10,000 and can go up to $100,000 or more. CAA Speakers represents and works with speakers that can accommodate a broad range of budgets.
Who pays travel?
In most cases, travel is additional. Standard expenses include (but are not limited to) unrestricted, first-class, roundtrip airfare; hotel accommodations; ground transportation by a professional car service (in home and event city); meals, and incidentals. Occasionally, some of our speakers require additional expenses such as security or expenses for an aide. It is possible to have the airfare included in the fee and this would be discussed at the time the offer is presented to the speaker. Your CAA Speakers agent will detail the specific expenses required for the individual speaker prior to the firm offer.
How far in advance should I book a speaker?
We can book a speaker for an event tomorrow should you have an emergency need or for an event a year down the road. Each speaker and artist is unique, so call us with your dates and needs.
How long does it take to get an answer on my offer?
Typically, it takes less than 48 hours, but every speaker is different and some can take up to a week or longer. Be sure to ask your CAA Speakers agent about turnaround time for the specific speaker you're requesting. Also, let us know if you have a deadline for an answer so we can communicate that to the speaker.
Who will help us with Travel and the Event Details?
- CAA Speakers has professional logistics coordinators that will help plan speaker's travel and can liaise between you and the speaker. The purpose of our logistics coordinators is to work closely with you and our speakers to ensure a smooth and successful event. Each speaker has a dedicated logistics coordinator so you will deal with the person who knows the most about that speaker's travel preferences and overall needs.
- What else will my logistics coordinator do? Travel help and arrangements is just one of the services that our logistics coordinators will provide. They will also help coordinate press requests, expedite the approval of any publicity materials, work with you in coordinating the speaker's schedule for possible book signings and receptions, and make sure that all pertinent information is communicated so that you have a well prepared, informed speaker at your event.
- When can I expect to have final travel done for my speaker? Every speaker is unique, but most have one thing in common: extremely busy schedules. Usually, our speakers don't confirm exact flights and arrangements until close to the event, typically around 2 weeks out.
What is the typical schedule for a speaker and how long can we expect them to stay at our event?
- The exact schedule you require of the speaker should be part of the firm offer and will become a part of the contract once the invitation is accepted. The speaker's schedule should be clearly outlined and mutually agreed upon before a contract is sent. Typically, in addition to a keynote speech and a Q&A session, many speakers will also participate in a reception and/or a meal function, and possibly a book signing, if requested.
- Speech times vary by speaker but generally run 30-45 minutes followed by a 15 minute Q&A
- Contact CAA Speakers as every speaker is different.
Should we have a Moderated Q&A?
Not all speakers give a standard keynote speech. Some prefer a moderated conversation format. Some of the most entertaining programs are moderated conversations. Your CAA Speaker agent will let you know which speakers prefer this format.
What are the fees, commission, and expenses? Is your Agency commission included in the fee?
The contract amount includes the complete agency fee for all services rendered. This commission is standard in the lecture industry, and one should be wary of lecture agencies which add their commission on top of the fee. Most speakers quote the same fee whether they schedule directly with you or through a lecture agent. Also, most speakers on the lecture circuit rely on lecture agencies for a large percentage of their speaking business and consider agency assistance an invaluable part of the booking process.
What is exclusive representation? Does CAA have exclusive speakers?
Exclusive representation signifies that a speaker is represented by only one speaker's bureau. CAA Speakers exclusively represents hundreds of speakers. Our exclusive speaker representation of the most compelling personalities in the world allows us to work with these speakers on a one-on-one basis to ensure that your event is a success. It means that we have more immediate access to their calendars, fee schedules, technical requirements, and other information that will help you plan your event in the most efficient manner possible. Exclusive speaker representation also enables us to ask the speakers to go above and beyond for your special needs. By coming to us direct for our speakers, you also ensure that there is no mark-up or additional costs.
Does CAA handle engagements outside the United States?
Yes; we can and do handle engagements for customers all over the world.
Is it possible to video or audio tape the speaker?
Written permission must be obtained through CAA to video or audio tape any presentation for any use.
How do I begin the process?